The beginning

Thursday 13 June 2013
In this blog I intend to increase scientific awareness, and to talk in an informal, although rigorous way, about Science and the scientific work. I will try my best to do it attractive and enjoyable. Science is beneficial to society, but the main reason scientists do it is just for the fun of it.

I am particularly interested in the study of earthquakes (thus the name of the blog), and how we can reduce the risk in areas prone to seismic activity. With the current state of knowledge, we can't even say if they could be predictable or not. And that's the fun of it for us scientists: to tackle a very complicated problem, and to look at it from different points of view. And, of course, there is the benefit for society, but, as I said, that's only part of the story.

As Feynman probably said (it has not been proven he said that) "Physics is like sex. Sure you can get some interesting results, but that's not why we do it".

No comments :